KJN Website
March 28, 2017, 12:06:03 PM

Author Topic: Silent Members  (Read 5424 times)

September 06, 2015, 08:41:35 PM
Reply #30

Niamh

• KJN Admin
  • Kapitän
    • Katzenjammer Nation
Hang on: YES! :)  That's right for registered and logged in members.  We set it so *guests* cannot see member lists or any specific profiles without registering/logging in first.  Yet they can see all posts and updates and not comment unless they are registered/logged in. 

Only allowing registered and logged in members to comment is also in place to protect us from spam.  Yet some spambots were successful in creating fake accounts at the very beginning when we were asked by members to remove the "annoying captcha".  This resulted in lots of annoying spam and annoying comments posted everywhere from fake accounts instead :D  It took hours to delete all the fake accounts (ensuring they were indeed fake), and there are probably plenty more to delete, but it is an unenviable task indeed, so tbh I have conveniently developed amnesia about it! :D  After I asked Kristian to restore the KJN website and KJN forum after repeated hacks, then we brought Jessica on board and she also deleted some of these fake accounts on both the website and the forum and she increased security overall.  Jessica now maintains IT security for both the KJN forum and KJN website, not the actual management of the forum boards themselves which I still manage or gig info and news submitted on the website which Linda manages.  And this extra security is a lovely reassurance to have! :)

The captcha and questions are back in place, so this is no longer an issue for future spam accounts.  (However: the site was still hacked after I re-applied these...and Jessica found a vulnerability in the Christmas theme of all themes....so it is fantastic that Jessica is on board with extra security measures behind the scenes! :) )  As *touch wood*....KJN has not been hacked since she did whatever she did! :D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 05:53:03 AM by Niamh »
September 08, 2015, 12:55:30 PM
Reply #31

Pet

• Cocktail
    • The Warriors of Love
Yes, I can see all that.  I've been on Internet forums where the majority of posts were spam.  It really makes a mess of everything.  The security questions (that have to be answered when posting for the first few times) seem to me a clever way to screen it out.

More member involvement, though, would be a jolly good thing.
September 08, 2015, 06:21:22 PM
Reply #32

Niamh

• KJN Admin
  • Kapitän
    • Katzenjammer Nation
Yes, I can see all that.  I've been on Internet forums where the majority of posts were spam.  It really makes a mess of everything.  The security questions (that have to be answered when posting for the first few times) seem to me a clever way to screen it out.

Haha!  Initially I didn't offer a multiple choice option for the correct number of girls.  And when I was testing the captcha by registering as a standard member, I got that question wrong as I answered with the alphabetical form instead of the numerical form!  So....that could have been a disaster for everyone trying to register, when the person who creates the question cannot answer it correctly! :D  But the multiple choice option seems to have avoided such potential problems :)

More member involvement, though, would be a jolly good thing.

Totally agreed.  In former days member engagement solely rested on how active KJN was with campaigns, as "campaigns" create a need for people to feel "involved" and therefore *be* involved.  There has been a distinct lack of campaigns since I took a much needed break from KJN.  But now I am back :)  Linda has done a wonderful job updating the KJN FB page and twitter with links from this forum - but more long term engagement stems from campaigns which we can constantly remind people to be a part of with a set goal to achieve.  Instead of the "instant gratification" type posts such as articles and photos etc.  (Facebook basically - where things get lost.  Sadly people do prefer this convenience which is while we try to indulge them - as it takes less effort to click "like" than to really commit to something).

With the upcoming Irish campaign (details to be announced very soon when Bruna has finalised the campaign) this will hopefully create a sense of action within the KJN community again.  As I will create a "KJN announcement", will create a special board for it like I have done for previous campaigns on the KJN forum; and share all of this this on all of KJN's social networking platforms which will refer everyone to this KJN forum.  Hopefully some of these new visitors will result in new contributing members.   

Bruna has agreed to be admin of a new "KJN UK and Ireland" street team, and she will manage that campaign here in the KJN forum after I set everything up for her.  And hopefully this will encourage new activity on the KJN forum and on the new KJN UK and Ireland FB page, in advance of whenever Vicky wishes to commence her November UK Promo.  If that promo is also managed on the KJN forum, then this too could theoretically boost member contributions.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 06:25:55 PM by Niamh »
September 08, 2015, 06:43:53 PM
Reply #33

Niamh

• KJN Admin
  • Kapitän
    • Katzenjammer Nation
Also KJN started as a forum to collate ideas for members to contribute designs for merch.  After the girls signed with Universal, their merch store was very limited: expensive and it did not ship globally, and now it was minus the cute personally designed merch items that KJ formerly offered. 

Then fans started creating and printing their own shirts using the KJ logos without permission from the girls.  So we decided to create some designs, do some polls, and forward the most popular designs to KJ management for approval so we could print these off and sell them.  And profit would be sent to the girls (sadly this project made no profit.  Far from it!)  We got eventually got approval from KJ management (Stageway) and proceeded with printing and selling KJN shirts with the aim of protecting KJ copyright!

At first we managed all this on a FB group - suggestions, polls, and creative design contributions.  Quickly we became too busy for such a platform and everything became disorganised and increasingly difficult for the admins to organise.  So we needed a forum and we created this KJN forum as a stepping stone for something better in the future (we had hoped IT experts would improve on what we set up from the beginning as it is easier to improve something that exists than something that does not exist ). 

This "campaign" resulted in massive member contribution and the forum was booming.  However: KJ developed a better store, with more merchandise selection and cheaper international rates.  Thus, the campaign was effectively a success (we received a better KJ store, with more merchandise selection and cheaper international rates) and there was no further need for the original purpose of KJN.  Plus, we made no profit - only a loss which we covered personally.

Since then: I guess KJN has changed its direction and focuses more on the "meet and greet" aspect of things and promo of the band by KJN "street teams" (the German street team had huge member contributions on this forum for the German tour and also within their German speaking board; and the Dandylion promo board also encouraged huge member participation).  Hopefully the Irish campaign and KJN UK street team promo will encourage similar participation in the next few months.  All the other nice boards are useful (such as "introduce yourself", favourite pics and videos etc) when members *already* feel engaged.

However, if we manage more "campaigns" this could incite the original passion for action again.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 06:58:27 PM by Niamh »
October 09, 2015, 11:13:24 AM
Reply #34

Pet

• Cocktail
    • The Warriors of Love
Most Online Today: 22. Most Online Ever: 174 (September 29, 2012, 11:31:10 AM)

Hmmm...  22 is only about an eighth of 174, but I think the numbers are rising a little.  I seem to be the only registered member online just now.
October 09, 2015, 08:20:04 PM
Reply #35

Niamh

• KJN Admin
  • Kapitän
    • Katzenjammer Nation

Hmmm...  22 is only about an eighth of 174, but I think the numbers are rising a little.  I seem to be the only registered member online just now.

Don't pay much heed to the 174, it is not reflective of usual forum traffic as Katzenjammer announced the forum on their FB page that day and cheekily told people to check it out if they considered themselves to be fans! :D :D :D
October 10, 2015, 12:37:46 PM
Reply #36

Pet

• Cocktail
    • The Warriors of Love

Don't pay much heed to the 174, it is not reflective of usual forum traffic as Katzenjammer announced the forum on their FB page that day and cheekily told people to check it out if they considered themselves to be fans! :D :D :D

In that case, 174 doesn't seem like many people: 37 fewer than have now pledged on the Gearbox Sessions.  I suppose that means there are lots of fans who don't check out Katzenjammer on Facebook.
October 16, 2015, 10:31:48 AM
Reply #37

Pet

• Cocktail
    • The Warriors of Love
The German section of this forum seems very quiet.  Yesterday, I was surprised to see someone post there.  It must have been the first time in quite a while.
October 17, 2015, 02:10:58 PM
Reply #38

Dust_Storm

• Dandylion Promo Coordinator
  • Trumpeter
The German section of this forum seems very quiet.  Yesterday, I was surprised to see someone post there.  It must have been the first time in quite a while.
Watch what will happen in December when KJ will be touring Germany and German reviews and other related stuff will pop up on the interwebs.  ;)
November 16, 2015, 08:53:31 PM
Reply #39

Uncle Mick

• Cherry
Oops! Thats me told then!  I`ve had to get a new password and I am coming on the back of a two gig stint seeing the girls and am having withdrawal symptoms! However on this forum was when I first became aware of the legend that is Bill Stanley and now I`ve met him....twice! Very nice chap indeed!
Likeable M !
January 03, 2016, 01:41:19 AM
Reply #40

Pet

• Cocktail
    • The Warriors of Love
I've become a silent member myself.

Some months ago, I decided I was too old to participate in Internet forums.

I wouldn't be back now, except for reading that Marianne is leaving the band. I felt some kind of need to say something to someone.
January 03, 2016, 02:09:54 AM
Reply #41

Pet

• Cocktail
    • The Warriors of Love
Anyway, I should be in bed.  Nighty night.