KJN Website
March 25, 2017, 06:41:48 AM

Author Topic: Song meanings and interpretations  (Read 11083 times)

May 28, 2015, 12:16:33 PM
Reply #15

Pet

• Cocktail
    • The Warriors of Love
When first I saw the title of 'Lady Grey', I wondered what it was about.  Lady Jane Grey came first to mind, followed by the wife of the British Foreign Secretary at the start of the First World War.  Lady Grey tea (without or without cinnamon) was my third thought.  When I listened to the song, it was almost immediately clear that it referred to none of those, so I gave up wondering who Lady Grey was.  Marianne's explanation, when I finally heard it, surprised me.

Perhaps none of Katzenjammer's songs are about the things that occur to me.  But does it matter?  Explanations may be beautiful, but are they real?
July 01, 2015, 10:42:51 AM
Reply #16

Pet

• Cocktail
    • The Warriors of Love
This morning for whatever reason (or perhaps no reason) I started to look through the lyrics booklet included with the Le Pop CD.  I noticed this in Demon Kitty Rag:

Even though my hart is breaking

A hart (as opposed to a heart) is a male deer (usually the red deer, and usually at least five years old).  The word for a hart's female counterpart is a hind.

I'm left wondering whether 'hart' is a spelling mistake or a misprint.  Or is the sense of the song really that someone's hart is breaking.  If so, what would that mean?
October 02, 2015, 03:29:22 PM
Reply #17

Pet

• Cocktail
    • The Warriors of Love
Recently, I was listening to Hey Ho on the Devil's Back (like you do) and wondered about the references to the black wood.  Is it possible that these allude to the writer of macabre stories Algernon Blackwood?