KJN Website
March 25, 2017, 02:46:07 AM

Author Topic: Geographical spread of Katzenjammer fans around the world  (Read 1870 times)

July 01, 2015, 08:15:29 PM

Linda

• KJN Admin
  • Trumpeter
Via Martin Climpson on FB
Just a little experiment to see the geographical spread of Katzenjammer fans around the world, no need to register, just add your location anonymously

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1521432

July 03, 2015, 11:41:52 AM
Reply #1

Pet

• Cocktail
    • The Warriors of Love
The spread (or concentration) of fans already looks quite interesting, but it should reveal more if a greater number of people place themselves on the map.  I chose a fuchsia pointer (probably quite accurately positioned, as I entered my post code).
July 03, 2015, 11:48:42 AM
Reply #2

Pet

• Cocktail
    • The Warriors of Love
The map currently shows more fans in England than in Germany, which can't be right.  More interestingly, there's a fan on St Helena.  There is also just one fan marked in Australia, which currently appears equal to St Helena as a centre of Katzenjammer fandom -- surely that can't be right, either.
July 03, 2015, 11:30:11 PM
Reply #3

amanfromaran

• Cocktail
The map currently shows more fans in England than in Germany, which can't be right.  More interestingly, there's a fan on St Helena.  There is also just one fan marked in Australia, which currently appears equal to St Helena as a centre of Katzenjammer fandom -- surely that can't be right, either.

The ID of Anonymous on "Saint Helena" includes this interesting phrase: "Saint Helena TDCU 1ZZ".
That is indeed the Postal Code for Tristan de Cunha, which is some distance from Saint Helena, but still considered a close neighbor. When zoomed in, the map shows that Anonymous lives on the Northeast rim of the Queen Mary's Peak Volcano, on Tristan de Cunha.
It gets odder...
There was a famous Norwegian expedition there, documented in: "RESULTS OF THE NORWEGIAN SCIENTIFIC EXPEDITION TO TRISTAN DA CUNHA, 1937-1938", edited by Erling Christophersen.
I haven't dug through all the references yet, but a certain P.M Jorgensen was involved...

¬amanfromaran
July 04, 2015, 07:15:35 AM
Reply #4

amanfromaran

• Cocktail
I just checked the map again.
It's gone from 94 to 527, no, make that 545, no, now 557 Fans in the last few hours.  It is so hard to keep up. Whether this is due to the influence of this Forum, or from the Facebook posts, is hard to tell. 
Anne, from Japan, has a sort of Sunflower Pin.  How does one do that?

One thing stands out- North America is suddenly starving, due to some deficiency of Katzenjammer.
I regret that this may be a terminal condition.
This year.

¬amanfromaran
July 04, 2015, 11:16:22 AM
Reply #5

Linda

• KJN Admin
  • Trumpeter
Yeah saw it too how much it was 'exploding'. Now it finally is getting really interesting!
July 04, 2015, 07:30:46 PM
Reply #6

amanfromaran

• Cocktail
Some entries are interesting...

The "Lonliest man in the world" claims to be on the Southwest shore of Young Island, some 300km from Antarctica.
He asks: "Can you bring some blankets? And firewood please."

On "nearby" Adelaide Island, "Dussey" has pegged themselves right at the Rothera Research Station.
This may actually be believable, as the Rothera Research Station is home to Antarctica's only resident Rock band- Nunatak.

At the other Pole, at the tip of Greenland, at ~ 83.605, -34.799, there's an Anonymous.  That's about 20km north of the previously claimed Northernmost Land, so I suspect Polar Bear.

In the middle of the Atlantic is "Cristoph".  They look like they are following the old Southerly Route from Europe to the Caribbean.  Perhaps they are planning on meeting up with Barbryn, in Sainte-Anne, Guadeloupe.  Only ~1900km to go.  Maybe ten more days under sail.

dschingis is in remotest Siberia, about 15km West of Lake Portnyagino.  I do hope that this is voluntary.

1198 Fans so far.

¬amanfromaran
July 04, 2015, 10:53:56 PM
Reply #7

Pet

• Cocktail
    • The Warriors of Love
Tristan Da Cunha is weirder than St Helena.  Wasn't the place evacuated some years ago?  (This is a vague memory of a news story.)  If it was evacuated, perhaps it's been re-settled.
July 04, 2015, 10:59:31 PM
Reply #8

Pet

• Cocktail
    • The Warriors of Love
I just took a look at the map.  It's gone crazy!  1,253 fans now.
July 04, 2015, 11:54:10 PM
Reply #9

amanfromaran

• Cocktail
Aside from the three current Nautical Improbabilities, (Of which I am one...), what is puzzling to me are the certain locations that _aren't_ represented.
I'm looking at you, New York City.

Five Boroughs, and some Eight Million residents, and nobody from The Big Apple has shown any interest.  They may as well be in Kansas, or Montana... even Saudi Arabia has a fan!

But Nyawkers _do_ tend to be self-centered:

¬amanfromaran
(This is a lot of fun for me; I've been a student of maps for practically all of my life, and I've even dwelt offshore from the Island of Stability, for a little while.)
July 04, 2015, 11:59:15 PM
Reply #10

Pet

• Cocktail
    • The Warriors of Love
Nobody in New York?  Really?  Crumbs!

There seemed quite a lot in the north eastern USA.  I assumed that some of them must be in New York.
July 09, 2015, 12:15:52 PM
Reply #11

Linda

• KJN Admin
  • Trumpeter
Wondering how many of the odd places are actually real and not people joking around.

Fans by country on the KJN FB page:
Germany 536
Norway 263
United Kingdom 211
United States of America 128
Netherlands 96
Austria 28
Belgium 24
Switzerland 24
Mexico 24
Russia 19
Brazil 18
France 17
Hungary 16
Denmark 14
Sweden 13
Argentina 12
Czech Republic 12
Finland 11
Australia 11
Ukraine 9
Italy 9
Canada 8
Ireland 8
Spain 7
Japan 5
Algeria 2
Colombia 2
Iceland 2
Peru 2
Isle of Man 2
South Korea 2
Egypt 2
Belarus 1
Portugal 1
Slovakia 1
Poland 1
Indonesia 1
Croatia 1
Latvia 1
New Zealand 1
Cyprus 1
Vietnam 1
United Arab Emirates 1
Chile 1
Kazakhstan 1
July 09, 2015, 01:10:11 PM
Reply #12

Pet

• Cocktail
    • The Warriors of Love
Believe it or not, that was the first I'd heard of there being a Katzenjammer Nation Facebook page.  I've just liked it.

That KJN FB list is interesting, but there seem to be fewer people in unexpected places than there are on the map.  Maybe the most surprising is the one person in Kazakhstan.

I'm not suggesting that anyone should try to work it out in detail, but I wonder how that list would look as the proportion of the population in each country.  Taking just the top two, I think that 536 is about one in 78,000 of the German population, and 263 is about one in 16,000 of the Norwegian population.  However inaccurate my calculations, there can be little doubt that (as a proportion of the population) Norway wins.

Towards the bottom of the KJN FB list the calculations would become very easy.  The Isle of Man has (I think) a population of about 70,000 -- so the KJN FB page represents about one in 35,000 of the population.

An interesting thing about the KJN FB list is that the numbers are obviously much greater than the number of KJN members.  There seem to be 252 members at the moment -- less than half the Germans on the KJN FB page.
July 09, 2015, 05:34:33 PM
Reply #13

Linda

• KJN Admin
  • Trumpeter
Believe it or not, that was the first I'd heard of there being a Katzenjammer Nation Facebook page.  I've just liked it.

Haha funny! How did you come across KJN then?
July 10, 2015, 01:05:03 AM
Reply #14

Pet

• Cocktail
    • The Warriors of Love

Haha funny! How did you come across KJN then?

I'm not really sure.  I came across something about it on Facebook (I think) but I really don't think it was KJN FB page.  At least, when I looked at the page today, it looked completely unfamiliar -- something I hadn't seen before.

Maybe Keith (who's one of my FB friends) posted something about KJN -- but that's no more than a guess.