KJN Website
February 26, 2017, 10:15:42 PM

Author Topic: Katzenjammer live in 2015!  (Read 10643 times)

June 22, 2015, 07:30:16 PM
Reply #45

Linda

• KJN Admin
  • Trumpeter
More concerts added for December in Germany:
07-12 Palladium Köln
08-12 Sporthalle Hamburg
10-12 Pier2 Bremen
12-12 Tempodrom Berlin
13-12 EmslandArena Lingen
15-12 Haus Auensee Leipzig
17-12 Zenith München
18-12 Porsche-Arena Stuttgart
19-12 Jahrhunderthalle Frankfurt
More info and all confirmed gigs: http://katzenjammer-nation.no/gigs-tickets/
July 04, 2015, 11:41:07 PM
Reply #46

Pet

• Cocktail
    • The Warriors of Love
At the end of the Lexington gig, I snaffled a set list.  I collected it from the picture framer today.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 11:43:24 PM by Pet »
July 06, 2015, 12:23:06 AM
Reply #47

Pet

• Cocktail
    • The Warriors of Love
I've posted something new to my website about the Lexington gig and the set list.

http://petjeffery.co.uk/a-katzenjammer-set-list/

July 07, 2015, 08:19:36 PM
Reply #48

Pet

• Cocktail
    • The Warriors of Love
Another shot of the framed set list.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 11:54:31 PM by Linda »
July 23, 2015, 07:49:17 PM
Reply #49

Pet

• Cocktail
    • The Warriors of Love
My tickets for November the 17th arrived today.  Yay!
December 20, 2015, 11:35:16 PM
Reply #50

Keith J

• "KJN Street Team Admin" - UK
  • Trumpeter
So, the current tour has ended and in its wake has left tens of thousands of happy people around Europe. It’s been a great year for most of us fans, I’m sure you’ll agree, and hopefully a great year for the band too.
Rockland was a superb album and so many of the songs from it have been highlights of the gigs this year and will remain favourites for years to come, I would imagine.
I’ve been lucky enough to be able to go to 8 gigs and, needless to say, the standard of performances has been consistently excellent. But each is special in its own way, sometimes due to an individual moment, a particular song that stands out, the set list, the venue, the company of others from the KJN etc.
I'm writing down some memories from these and will post them in the next day or two. I hope others will post, too.

(I hope people can read this. That massive picture, above, has distorted the page width of this thread)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 11:37:36 PM by Keith J »
December 21, 2015, 01:12:52 AM
Reply #51

Linda

• KJN Admin
  • Trumpeter
(I hope people can read this. That massive picture, above, has distorted the page width of this thread)

I modified Pet his post, so it's better readable again.

I'll think about writing something myself aswell
December 24, 2015, 06:38:34 PM
Reply #52

Keith J

• Trumpeter
Thanks, Linda.

Warning: long post ahead. So long, I've decided to divide it in to 2. Starting with a few memories of the gigs I attended earlier in the year. Skip if not interested. Better still, post your own.

January: Sentrum Scene, Oslo.

It had been a long wait since the autumn tour of 2012, so tonight was always going to be special, especially as this was the first chance to hear the songs from ‘Rockland’ live. Great to see old friends from the KJN at Peppe’s again to talk about the album and the gig. And what a joy it was. An odd start, as they began with ‘Hey, Ho...’ which should always be a set closer in my opinion but no great problem. ‘Flash In The Dark’, followed by ‘Driving After You’ is a great pairing and ‘Bad Girl’ was a exhilarating as I thought it would be. We even got a second encore (Gypsy Flee) that night and we went out in to the freezing cold night, very happy.
I had an early flight home next morning but got back in time to hear the band on the Terry Wogan show and have the man himself read out my e-mail saying what a great gig it had been.

March: Paradiso, Amsterdam.

I love this venue, even though the height of the stage makes it (literally) a pain in the neck for those of us in the front row. As this was 22nd March, it was always going to be special, given that it’s the anniversary of the official launch of the KJN and we raised a glass at the restaurant we met in before hand. It was lovely to meet so many people I hadn’t met at previous gigs. The date is also special, of course, as it’s Anne Marit’s birthday. We celebrated this by greeting her entrance with a lot of balloons. They didn’t distract her and, indeed, she was warmly appreciative. Another storming gig and now that I’d had the album for a few weeks, I was able to appreciate many of the songs even more. ‘Oh My God’ was fantastic live and ‘My Own Tune’ & ‘My Dear’ gave Turid a chance to shine with the best songs she’s had since ‘Mother Superior’.

May: Oran Mor, Glasgow.

A gig on my home soil is always special and a Glasgow audience is peerless. Turid took a photo, which appeared on their Tumblr site, showing us all and with Bruna, Alex, Jacco, Simon & I at the front centre, looking very happy! With every reason to be, of course. ‘Old de Spain’ was a brilliant way to start the show and ‘Rockland’ a highly emotional moment. I don’t think I’ll ever tire of listening to Marianne explaining the background to ‘Lady Grey’ either. Managed to speak to Anne Marit & Turid after the show and Bruna & I spent ages looking for Solveig, but to no avail. Ah well, there would be other times.

May: The Scala, London.
Another lovely, small, venue with a low stage and a great vibe. Scene, of course, of the launch of the KJN 3 years previously. No pre-gig meet up, this time, and no local bars open afterwards, but we spent a long time queuing beforehand so plenty of time to catch up with Bill, Vicky, Ragnhild & others. ‘Driving After You’ was a highlight, tonight, and as with the other spring gigs, we didn’t get ‘To the Sea’, but we did get all the songs from the Rockland album. Something we wouldn’t get in the autumn tour.
I should mention the support act, Gabby Young, who is simply the best I’ve seen at a KJ gig (and there have been many good ones). She has so many great songs, a terrific voice, is funny and engaging and she and her partner interacted with the audience brilliantly. I’ve seen her and her full band since and I’m definitely a fan, now.

I'll post something about the autumn tour gigs later.
December 31, 2015, 08:53:25 PM
Reply #53

Keith J

• Trumpeter
Notes on the autumn tour.

November: Shepherd’s Bush Empire, London.
A step up in venue size in the UK and a night for which they’d promised something special. I met up with Linda, Bjorn, Bill and all those other lucky people from the KJN who’d managed to secure a place at the soundcheck. Not me, unfortunately and as my name wasn’t on the list, I wasn’t getting in. But a hug from Sol was more than enough compensation :)
I must admit that I wasn’t particularly taken with the venue. Or rather, the sound. From where I was standing at the front, the instrumentation seemed detached from the vocals for much of the gig. At least the vocals were crystal clear and we enjoyed their imaginative reworking of The Clash song ‘London Calling’, with Turid on lead vocal.

November: Queen’s Hall, Edinburgh.
This was always going to be special for me. The shortest distance I’ve ever had to travel to a KJ gig as the venue is only a 40 minute drive from my house. It’s a gorgeous venue, too and much bigger than the Glasgow venues they’ve played. Thankfully, a decent crowd, even if it wasn’t sold out. None of the regulars from the KJN this time but I spoke to some who’d been at the SBE gig and some who I’d recognised from the Glasgow gig earlier in the year. As the venue is an old church, there’s one song I knew would sound wonderful and I was right. The performance of ‘God’s Great Duststorm’ was simply sublime - probably the best I’ve ever heard it. I mentioned this to Anne Marit when I met her at the airport departure lounge the next day:)

November: Paard Van Troje, Den Haag.
I’d been looking forward to being back in a city I hadn’t visited for 25 years and the wind and rain didn’t detract from the experience. A good gathering from the KJN before the gig and we enjoyed another fantastic gig in another great venue. The setlist for the autumn tour featured a few changes from that of the spring and not always for the better. Starting with ‘Rock, Paper, Scissors’ isn’t ideal, I don’t think and ‘Oh My God’, ‘Ouch’ and ‘Lady Marlene’ were dropped:( So, too, ‘Shine Like Neon Rays’ although I didn’t miss that. We did get ‘To the Sea’ and ‘London Calling’, however, and a storming version of ‘Curvaceous Needs’, rightly placed towards the end of the set. Only one song as an encore but ‘Ain’t No Thang’ is the perfect set closure and the playout music ‘Crazy, Crazy Nights’ rounds a joyous night out joyously!

December: Spektrum, Oslo.
The 10th Anniversary gig in their home city. Now that was always going to be special, and indeed it was. Spectacularly so. It was great to meet so many KJN folk I hadn’t met before, including Danny & Kathleen - also from Scotland, at the traditional meet up at Peppe’s Pizzas. And we were blessed with a visit from Mats Rybø, writer of so many fantastic songs for the band over the years. The venue was an imposing arena and not my favourite type of place so being down the front certainly helps. Fortunately, the band were totally at ease and gave us another wonderful performance, including the extended drumming sequence they’d included in ‘Ain’t No Thang’. Best of all, a heartbreaking rendition of ‘Wading In Deeper’ that was incredibly emotional. Well, I was, anyway. What’s more, there were special light effects, explosions at the end of ‘Hey Ho, On the Devil’s Back’, ticker tape and balloons, all adding to the party atmosphere and ensuring it would be an unforgettable night. I have no hesitation in choosing this as my favourite gig of the year.

As to the future, goodness knows when the next one will be. So I’ll be making the most of the memories from 2015 and probably even checking the relevant videos on You Tube!