KJN Website
March 27, 2017, 04:38:58 AM

Author Topic: Street Team Glasgow  (Read 3626 times)

April 18, 2015, 01:18:22 AM

Vicky Chu

• "KJN Street Team Admin" - UK
  • Cocktail
Dear Street Teamer, welcome and thank you for volunteering to help spread the word about our favourite band!!! :)

In the weeks leading up to the Katzenjammer gig at Òran Mór on the 9th of May, the plan is to:
• put up posters around Glasgow,
• hand out flyers after gigs by artists whose fan bases might be interested in Katzejammer, or
• simply drop flyers at various venues, and
• hand out flyers after the Katzenjammer gig at Òran Mór – so that the people who come to listen to Katzenjammer can come and see them again in the UK this year ( http://katzenjammer-nation.no/gigs-tickets ) and maybe bring some friends along! :)

As soon as we have confirmed with the Katzenjammer management where you can pick up the promo materials from, we will post more information here.

To be notified, please, register on the forum and set up your notification settings by going to Profile (in the top menu)/ Account Settings/ Modify Profile/ Notifications. Alternatively, just pop in and check for any updates on a daily basis.

Whilst we are gathering up all the necessary bits and pieces, perhaps, you could suggest some locations where it would be best to hang posters/ drop flyers in your city? A massive thank you in advance! :D

April 19, 2015, 03:51:31 PM
Reply #1

Keith J

• Trumpeter
I hope to get some promo materials this week which will enable my to hand out flyers at the Laura Marling gig next Saturday (at the O2 Academy). Hopefully one or two others can be found via social media to join me.
April 19, 2015, 03:57:29 PM
Reply #2

Dust_Storm

• Dandylion Promo Coordinator
  • Trumpeter
I got in touch with Marianne who is taking care of things now. Reason enough to be optimistic, but I have no idea how quick the promo material will get where it's supposed to get.
April 19, 2015, 04:08:49 PM
Reply #3

Keith J

• Trumpeter
Fingers crossed. I'm not sure if I'll be available the following weekend.
April 26, 2015, 03:59:34 PM
Reply #4

Keith J

• Trumpeter
Yesterday turned out to be an interesting, productive and fruitful day in Glasgow.

Armed with those fantastic posters & flyers (thanks to May, Vicky & all involved) I got there late afternoon. There aren't many places to put up posters in Glasgow. The council penalise those who fly-post and official sites are expensive. So I concentrated on record shops and gig venues. I didn't see anything that DF Concerts (the promoters) had done - even in King Tut's (a venue they own) - even in the main ticket selling outlet in the city centre. Both promised to display our posters so I'm hopeful they will. A couple of places allowed me to put posters up myself and I only had one refusal. Some places I couldn't access but will try next weekend.

I'd targetted the Laura Marling gig at the O2 Academy for the flyering and thought it might be best to do this at the beginning of the evening rather than at the end. Definitely the right decision. A queue had started to form around 18.20 (doors opened 19.00) and with people arriving in a steady stream and waiting around, it was easy to engage with them. A polite and receptive crowd too. A couple already had tickets. Another were pleased that they were playing Cropredy. Some promised to check the band online and I answered a few questions about who they were, what type of music they played. With perfect timing, I gave out the last of the flyers just as the doors opened and the queue started to move.

So, a worthwhile few hours and after mentioning what I'd done on Twitter, I've found that Oran Mor has retweeted this to their followers - all 15,900 of them :)

I'll get the chance to do some more next Sunday as there's a a multi-band, multi-venue festival in Glasgow and I reckon there may be a couple of bands (such as The Staves) who may have an audience receptive to KJ. I just hope that the sun is shining again!
April 26, 2015, 11:28:27 PM
Reply #5

Vicky Chu

• Cocktail
Ah, and you had a great weather, too!!! 8) The sun always shines on the righteous, Keith! :) WELL DONE! WELL DONE! WELL DONE!!!  :D Thank you SO MUCH for your help, support, time and effort!!! And great tips, too! Now I am thinking - perhaps, handing out flyers before the Katzenjammer gig is a better idea than after! Ponder-ponder...

I am happy you had a ball doing promo on Saturday and that people were nice and receptive!  :) I am sorry that you had to do it alone, though - I think we should try and gather a group of helpers for you for the next weekend!

What time are you planning to be in Glasgow next Sunday and where would it be best for you to meet up with people?
April 26, 2015, 11:43:20 PM
Reply #6

Keith J

• Trumpeter
I'm not sure yet. Probably mid to late afternoon. The programme for the festival wont be released until the end of the week. There are dozens of bands playing in the 10 participating venues. Many are little known bands playing in pubs and I'll have to do a lot of research to establish which ones may be worth targetting.

I've got a ticket for the festival so will get inside some venues and see if I can put up more posters.
April 27, 2015, 11:25:22 PM
Reply #7

Vicky Chu

• Cocktail
Keith, now THIS sounds FAB!!! :-) I am hoping to attract more interest from the Glaswegians through FB to help you spread the word on Sunday! :D Are you OK for me to publicise your efforts on the KJN UK page?  :D
May 04, 2015, 12:25:32 PM
Reply #8

Keith J

• Trumpeter
A few extra bodies would have been welcome this weekend but no matter, it's done now.

Saturday was quite interesting. I was in Edinburgh and found that the promoters had got an official poster promoting the Glasgow gig in the window of the Tickets Scotland shop. Quite gratifying and I subsequently saw the same poster in a couple of Glasgow venues yesterday. (see attachment)  I managed to get the ticket shop and a record shop to display some flyers.

In Glasgow, yesterday, I was lucky in the sense that the heavy rain had stopped by the time I got there.  I had more tricky issues to deal with, though. The music festival was spread over 10 venues and it turned out that there wasn't much in the way of outside queues to target. With the venues being open all day, people could go straight in.
All I could do was hand out flyers to people as they left shows. Not as productive as pre-gig queues, especially when up against other people handing out flyers for other events. It went quite well at some of the smaller venues, though and again, I was able to have some conversations with a few people, telling them about the band. I also got a few more posters put up.

So all in all, this has been a worthwhile activity, I think, and I've learned a few lessons. I've also resolved to always take a flyer from anybody handing these out before and after gigs.
May 05, 2015, 12:11:21 AM
Reply #9

Vicky Chu

• Cocktail
Yes, you never know who you might come across on such flyers - if any of the folk to whom you gave the KJ flyers turn up at the Oran Mor gig - they will love you forever! Great job, Keith, and THANK YOU VERY MUCH for it! <3 Such a shame we haven't found anyone else to help you, but I am hopefull for Saturday - I can bet you will get a lot of volunteers to hand the flyers out after the gig. There will also be some KJNers from London there, so fingers crossed for some productive promo! Mind you, you've done so much that no-one will blame you if you just forget all about promo for one evening and just enjoy the show! <3
May 05, 2015, 10:14:51 PM
Reply #10

Keith J

• Trumpeter
Thanks Vicky. There's probably not much point in flyering the crowd on Saturday given that there are no other Scottish gigs confirmed.
I can see if whoever is on the merchandise stand wants to keep some to display in Manchester and London.